Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes
A Nigerian-inspired take on fried rice, this quick and easy dish is a brilliant way to use leftover rice. By simply adding store cupboard ingredients and items found in your freezer, this visually appealing dish is sure to pull all the right punches while providing two of your five a day. Leftover roast chicken or other cooked meat such as cubed liver can be used in place of beef mince. Vegetarians can leave the beef mince and prawns out altogether.[sociallocker]
500g cooked rice
50ml vegetable oil
1 medium onion sliced
2 tsp garlic paste
180g beef mince (20% fat)
220g king prawns (frozen)
½ tsp white pepper
1 large stock cube
½ tbsp soy sauce (optional)
400g Sainsbury’s special mixed vegetables (frozen)
- Heat the rice in a microwave for 5 minutes and break up any clumps of rice before starting.
- Brown the mince for about 2 to 3 minutes and drain off any resulting fat.
- Add oil, garlic paste, soy sauce, stock cube, white pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables, cook for 3 minutes then add sliced onion and cook for a further 3 minutes, till all vegetables are just cooked.
- Add warmed rice and stir thoroughly. Add the frozen king prawns and stir through the rice and vegetables, put the lid on and turn off the heat. The residual heat will warm the prawns through.
(Recipe and image from Sainsbury’s Waste Less, Save More, Eat Well Recipe Book authored by Angela Tella) [/sociallocker]