Prep time: 15 minutes, plus marinating time | Cooking time: 25 minutes
Cayenne and ginger spiced plantain is layered up with malt-marinated chicken to make this impressive Ghanaian-style burger. Add a dollop of hot pepper mayonnaise and a little peanut butter for this new take on a classic BBQ recipe and serve with a mini corn-on-cob or side salad.
1 bottle Supermalt
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp runny honey
4 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
1 tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 large ripe plantain, cut into diagonal slices
3 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
4 burger buns
4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 beef tomato, sliced
1 round lettuce
- Prepare a glaze in a small saucepan by adding the Supermalt, sugar and honey. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half. Set aside and leave to cool slightly.
- Season the chicken. Add the chicken to the glaze, cover and transfer to a fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the cayenne to a small bowl along with ginger and a large pinch of salt. Add the plantain and toss together until coated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan until hot, then add the plantain. Cook on a medium heat for 2 minutes until the underside is starting to brown, then flip over, cooking for another 1-2 minutes until starting to crisp up around the edges. Transfer to a tray lined with a paper towel. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat a large griddle pan until hot and brush with the remaining oil. Add the chicken and cook on a medium heat, turning often and basting with the glaze left in the bowl for 10-12 minutes until dark and sticky. Transfer to a plate and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix the mayonnaise with your hot pepper sauce of choice. On your bottom bun, spread some peanut butter. Top with the chicken thigh. Layer on the plantain followed by the tomato and lettuce leaves. Smear a good dollop of the spiced mayonnaise on the bun top to finish off your burger.
(Recipe and image from Sainsbury’s Waste Less, Save More, Eat Well Recipe Book authored by Angela Tella)